Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Sports Media: Too Much Negativity

I woke up a full two hours before work today and decided I'd return to watching a longtime favorite of mine, SportsCenter. The show was going well, as they were covering the blow-by-blow on the harrowing NBA playoff races and opening day in baseball. By 5:30 though, I saw a clip of what drives me (and I'm sure a number of people) crazy about the sports media. I hear yet another clip on Jose Canseco ratting out yet another baseball superstar, this time Alex Rodriguez. I was never a huge ARod fan, but I've always respected his ability. I sat listening to the report shaking my head and mumbling to myself "Who's next, Hank Aaron?" Not that you can blame Canseco, after all, what's in it for him is a large amount of income if it gets his next book off the shelf. Nothing like free publicity, I always say, plus it gets him in the media spotlight just as he was getting blackballed from the sport of baseball.
If that's not enough, what's the very next story to pop up on the screen??? Oh, why Spygate of course. I think we're losing our rationale when we compare a coach stealing football signals to one of the worst events in American history. You'll never convince me that in any way compares to government officials stealing confidential security information that may have compromised the safety of our nation. Sadly enough, there are people out there who base their happiness and well being on the outcome of a football game, but that's the rationale of todays society. I don't ask much out of my sports media, but is it worth reporting negative stories at the gain of a few dollars? There are so many athletes out there doing things the right way, why not run a story on them every once in a while? It might improve the perception of sports in the eyes of the casual observer, who may find a reason to watch again.
That's all I have here, it's off to the real world now.

No comments: